A Little Pescadero History

From "The History of San Mateo" by Philip W. Alexander, 1916
The business enterprises of the little city of Pescadero are largely represented by the interest of James McCormick, who though not a native Californian, has thrown himself heartily into the upbuilding of his adopted land, which owes much to his earnest efforts.

(James) was born in Ireland in 1841, the son of Peter and Catherine (Gibeny) McCormick. His parents emigrated when he was seven years of age, settling in Carthage, Jefferson Count, N.Y.

In 1863, James McCormick left home, for San Francisco (with his brother John and Sister Kate), and arrived in that city January 15, 1864. 

After about nine months in Santa Cruz, he came to Pescadero where he has resided since. In 1873 he started his mercantile business which is now the leading store in his district. In the milling business he also has timber interest and owns valuable timber lands. 

James McCormick is one of the most prominent figures in the public life of the county. He has served as road supervisor, deputy assessor, and later was a member of the San Mateo County Exposition Commission.
In Politics Mr. McCormick is Democrat. 

Mr.McCormick was married in 1866 to Miss Julia S. Shaffre, and the children born to them are Alice A., Francis, Ella M., Florence, James, Lillian E., and Julia (Jewel)

No comments :

Post a Comment